Jewish Bus Passengers in London Abused by Gang Spitting and Shouting Anti-Semitic Slurs During Hanukkah

POLICE have launched a probe after Jewish passengers were subjected to a barrage of vile abuse by yobs shouting anti-Semitic slurs on Hanukkah. Continue reading “Jewish Bus Passengers in London Abused by Gang Spitting and Shouting Anti-Semitic Slurs During Hanukkah”

Royally tired: Moment Prince Charles almost falls asleep at midnight ceremony to mark Barbados becoming a republic ending four centuries with British monarch as head of state

Prince Charles appears to doze off during a midnight ceremony in Barbados overnight

Prince Charles was caught on camera today appearing to doze off during a ceremony which marked the historic transition of Barbados to a republic.

The 73-year-old Prince of Wales was filmed closing his eyes as his head slowly moved forward before he quickly sat up as cameras flashed in front of him.

Charles was no doubt feeling the effects of a long flight and the four-hour time difference, with the ceremony starting at 11.30pm local time or 3.30am UK time.

He was joined at the Presidential Inauguration Ceremony in Bridgetown by former cricketer Garfield Sobers, new president Sandra Mason and singer Rihanna.

It comes as the heir to the throne acknowledged the ‘appalling atrocity of slavery’, describing it during the ceremony as something ‘which forever stains our history’.

Charles summed up the period when the UK was one of the leading players in the transatlantic slave trade as the ‘darkest days of our past’, but looking to the future said the ‘creation of this republic offers a new beginning’.

The prince will be head of state of many nations in the Caribbean when he becomes king and his words will resonate across the region.

Barbados’ ties with the British monarchy going back centuries were severed when the nation’s first president, Dame Sandra Mason, was sworn into office replacing the Queen as head of state during a televised open-air ceremony in the capital Bridgetown.

In a message to the president and the people of Barbados the Queen sent the new republic her ‘warmest good wishes for your happiness, peace and prosperity in the future’ and praised the nation which has a ‘special place’ in her heart for ‘its vibrant culture, its sporting prowess, and its natural beauty’.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the UK and Barbados will remain ‘steadfast friends and allies’ with ‘a partnership built to last’.

The heir to the throne watched the symbolic moment as the Queen’s standard was lowered for the last time and the presidential flag raised in its place at midnight local time, on November 30, the 55th anniversary of independence from Britain.

Charles told guests including Barbados’ prime minister Mia Mottley and singer Rihanna: ‘The creation of this Republic offers a new beginning, but it also marks a point on a continuum, a milestone on the long road you have not only travelled, but which you have built.

‘From the darkest days of our past, and the appalling atrocity of slavery, which forever stains our history, the people of this island forged their path with extraordinary fortitude.

‘Emancipation, self-government and Independence were your way-points. Freedom, justice and self-determination have been your guides.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: Daily Mail

Libya’s Late Dictator Moammar Gadhafi’s Son Disqualified From Running for President

The name of Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, Libya’s late dictator Moammar Gadhafi’s son, appeared on a list of ineligible candidates running for president in elections to be held next month. This report was issued by the country’s High National Elections Committee.

Seif’s previous convictions are working against him. Seif al-Islam had been sentenced to death by a Tripoli court in 2015 for using violence against protesters in a 2011 uprising against his father, but that ruling has since been called into question by Libya’s rival authorities. He is also wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of crimes against humanity related to the uprising.

The son of Libya’s former dictator submitted his candidacy papers in the southern town of Sabha on Nov. 14. It was the first time in years that the 49-year-old, who earned a PhD at the London School of Economics, appeared in public.

He had been captured by fighters in the town of Zintan late in 2011, as the uprising ended his father’s rule after 40 years. Seif al-Islam was released in June 2017.

The announcement of his possible candidacy stirred controversy across the divided country.

– BCNN1

U.N. Officials Estimate That 1,600 People Have Died or Gone Missing in the Mediterranean Sea Already This Year

The Mediterranean Sea is the main gateway to Europe for migrants trying to enter the continent with the help of human smugglers. The sinking of a boat with more than 30 people on board this week is the deadliest migration tragedy to date in the English Channel. Thus far, an estimates 1,600 migrants have lost their lives in the Mediterranean Sea.

This year the busiest and deadliest migrant route to Europe is the central Mediterranean where people travel in crowded boats from Libya and Tunisia — and in some cases all the way from Turkey — toward Italy. About 60,000 people have arrived in Italy by sea this year, and some 1,200 have died or disappeared on the journey, according to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees.

Their travel vessels consist of rickety boats or rubber dinghies and are unable to stan dup to the sometimes inclement weather especially this time of the year what with the cold weather setting in.

The International Organization of Migration estimates that 23,000 people have perished since 2014 while trying to cross the Mediterranean, peaking at more than 5,000 in 2016. In the same seven-year period, about 166 people have died in the English channel.

The number of missing is an estimate partly based on information from survivors of shipwrecks.

– BCNN1

Unidentified Assailants Open Fire Outside City Hall in Northern Mexico

Two men and one woman were killed when unidentified assailants opened fire outside city hall in Sonora in northern Mexico. Sonora has been the scene of bloody turf battles between several cartels, but it was unclear if Thursday’s shooting was related to that.

The shooting comes one day after state authorities said they found 14 clandestine graves near Miguel Aleman, a town north of Guaymas. State prosecutors say the burial pits contained bones, some burned, and decomposing bodies, but said they cannot yet determine the number of victims.

Sonora has been the scene of drug gang turf battles thought to involve factions of the Sinaloa Cartel, allies of the Jalisco cartel and a gang allied with fugitive drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero.

Residents are urged to stay away from the downtown area in the Gulf of California port of Guaymas.

– BCNN1

U.S. Adds Pressure on Russia to Stop or Slow Construction of Nord Stream 2

The U.S. has unsuccessfully tried to slow or stop the construction of Nord Stream 2, which would carry Russian gas to Germany, fearing the added leverage that the energy project will give Russia in Europe.

Russian-controlled gas giant Gazprom owns the pipeline with investment from several European companies. The United States reached a deal with Germany, a key NATO ally, last summer to allow the pipeline’s completion without imposing U.S. sanctions on German interests involved in the project.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a statement the Biden administration has now sanctioned eight people and 17 vessels linked to the pipeline.

– BCNN1

Edgard Parrales, Nicaragua’s Former Ambassador, Detained by Unidentified Men

Edgard Parrales Nicaragua’s Former Ambassador to the Organization of American States was forced into a vehicle by two unidentified men dressed in civilian clothes, according to his wife, Carmen Dolores Córdova. The men did not show any form of identification or arrest warrant.

His arrest is similar to dozens arrested for opposing President Daniel Ortega. Parrales had been one of the few political analysts willing to criticize Ortega openly in recent months.

The government did not confirm Parrales had been detained. The incident comes three days after Ortega’s government announced its intention to withdraw from the OAS, a move that Parrales had described as “nonsensical.” Ortega’s government has been accused of rigging the elections.

The OAS General Assembly voted to condemn the elections, saying they “were not free, fair or transparent, and lack democratic legitimacy.”

Twenty-five countries in the Americas voted in favor of the resolution, while seven, including Mexico, abstained. Only Nicaragua voted against it.

– BCNN1

Canadian Journalists Released; Claims Arrest Was Targeted

“My arrest and incarceration were punitive and a blatant attempt to repress images of police violence against Indigenous people in Canada,” Michael Toledano tweeted. “I have no doubt that my arrest was targeted. One officer who I encountered many times on Wetâ’suwetâ territory gloated about the arrest.”

But the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said in a statement that two people who later identified themselves as independent journalists were arrested after refusing to leave “building-like structures” near a drilling site for the natural gas pipeline, which is under construction.

The arrests came after members of the Gidimtâ clan, one of five in the Wetâ’suwetâ Nation, set up blockades along a forest service road Nov. 14.

Amber Bracken, photojournalist who had been on assignment for B.C.-based outlet The Narwhal, and documentary filmmaker Michael Toledano were released on the condition that they appear in court in February.

The Canadian Association of Journalists condemned the arrests of Bracken and Toledano. In an open letter signed by several dozen news outlets and press freedom organizations, it called on Federal Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino to “bring about a swift resolution respecting journalists’ fundamental rights.”

– BCNN1

Facebook Has Difficulty Detecting and Moderating Hate Speech and Misinformation in Myanmar

The Associated Press viewed internal documents by Facebook only to find out that Facebook still has problems detecting and moderating hate speech and misinformation onits platform in the southeast Asian nation of Myanmar. This is still the case even years after coming under srutiny for contributing to ethnic and religious violence in Myanmar.

Scrolling through Facebook today, it’s not hard to find posts threatening murder and rape in Myanmar.

Despite the ongoing issues, Facebook saw its operations in Myanmar as both a model to export around the world and an evolving and caustic case. Documents reviewed by AP show Myanmar became a testing ground for new content moderation technology, with the social media giant trialing ways to automate the detection of hate speech and misinformation with varying levels of success.

Facebook’s internal discussions on Myanmar were revealed in disclosures made to the Securities and Exchange Commission and provided to Congress in redacted form by former Facebook employee-turned-whistleblower Frances Haugen’s legal counsel. The redacted versions received by Congress were obtained by a consortium of news organizations, including The Associated Press.

Facebook has had a shorter but more volatile history in Myanmar than in most countries. After decades of censorship under military rule, Myanmar was connected to the internet in 2000. Shortly afterward, Facebook paired with telecom providers in the country, allowing customers to use the platform without needing to pay for the data, which was still expensive at the time. Use of the platform exploded. For many in Myanmar, Facebook became the internet itself.

“Facebook’s approach in Myanmar today is fundamentally different from what it was in 2017, and allegations that we have not invested in safety and security in the country are wrong,” Frankel the Facebook spokesperson said.

– BCNN1

Russia Records High Coronavirus Deaths 2nd Straight Day

The Russian state coronavirus task force reported 1,254 COVID-19 deaths, matching Friday’s tally.

The task force also reported 37,120 new confirmed cases. The daily new infections in recent weeks appear to have a downward trend but still remain higher than during previous surges of the virus.

In total, Russia’s coronavirus task force has reported nearly 9.3 million confirmed infections and 262,843 COVID-19 deaths, by far the highest death toll in Europe.

Russian officials have said the task force only includes deaths for which COVID-19 was the main cause, and uses data from medical facilities. Rosstat uses wider criteria for counting virus-related deaths and takes its numbers from civil registry offices where registering a death is finalized.

– BCNN1